Friday 20 January 2012

pagan blog project #3 Birds

Pagan blog project 3
Birds

I’ve always been fascinated by birds and I feel a strong link to them, so when I started looking into the mythology and symbolism of them the information I found out didn’t correspond with the way I feel about them.

So I thought I’d share how I feel about a few birds.

Blackbird: a brave and hardworking bird, I’m moved by the way if a predator is after it’s young in the nest they sing very loudly to distract the predator away from they nest. And they sing so sweetly. They visit my garden early morning or early evening.

Robin: always a good sign, I feel lucky if I see a robin I know I’m going to have a good day. A friendly and cheerful bird with a lovely voice, I always smile if I see a robin.

Crane: I feel there is something sad about cranes, they stand like statues for what seems like hours, they are like silent watchers, I feel they observe everything.

Owl: a mysterious bird, I had the privilege of seeing one up close last year, driving down an unlit country road an owl flew down and practically landed on the bonnet of my car, for a few seconds we stared at each other, It’s such a stunning, beautiful, handsome creature I just know it’s full of magic.

Magpie: i have magpies nesting a few doors down from me, they are always in my garden, a clever and cheeky bird always up to mischief always in pairs too, I have to salute them whenever they fly over – an old superstition – I salute a lot!

Crow: my favourite bird, I love the way they all live together, young and old a proper family. I also love the way they walk, they sort of strut – it shows there attitude. I worry if I don’t see crows but I don’t have to worry I see them often, they fly over me as I’m driving or they sit on the fence and watch as I look out of my windows. I forgive them for stealing my bracelet as I got it back a year later!

Seagull: I’m not a fan of seagulls, leaving near the sea they tend to terrorise you if you want to eat on the beach. They tried to mug me once when I bought donuts on Brighton pier. And they are huge! They also make an awful noise all night in the summer. They are graceful though and it’s nice watching the sun set at the beach and watching the seagulls fly elegantly across the sky and water.

Swan: a truly beautiful bird, full of grace but up close they are mean! On a canal holiday I had to walk up to a lock gate but a swan hissed and started chasing me – I had to get my hubby for backup they also learnt to tap on the window of the boat asking for food I didn’t dare ignore them!


This is how I relate to the birds I see in my neighbourhood,

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your take on birds. I also really love crows and have even choreographed a dance about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about the birds which are special to you - I lived in Texas for a while and adored seeing red cardinals which we don't have over here - i had to buy myself an ornament just so I could still see them when I returned home to the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! I miss seeing Robins. I grew up in Wisconsin and we always knew when Spring had arrived, because the Robins would be in the yard singing... I live in Arizona, and have for yrs now, my favorites are the Ravens... There is a pair that talk to me most mornings..

    ReplyDelete